Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Singing in the Snow

It's crappy outside here in Rochester. Well, better this morning than last night - but it's definitely white with a lot of snow outside. Roads are slick, idiots are driving like they forgot how to drive in snow..... either going 20mph faster than everyone else or 20mph slower than everyone else. It was enough snow to cancel rehearsal last night in La Crosse - which along with our normal no-Thursday rehearsal for the December concert (easier music for the Holidays).... we are performing next weekend with only 2 rehearsals!!! This should be fun and exciting!

So with my evening off last night, I did what every person that gets snowed in does.... stained some trim and watched Hairspray. It's the latest musical movie in the current musical movie craze. Overall, it was ok - but John Travolta was pretty funny, and Christopher Walken again showed himself as one of the most versatile actors in Hollywood!!

But after it was over, I was trying to recall how many musical movies there have been lately.... I think the resurgence started with Chicago (which I really didn't like) and obviously the amazing impact of Dreamgirls last year! There is definitely a new market from movie musicals that hasn't been seen since the 50s and 60s (think of original productions of Bye Bye Birdie, Oklahoma, etc.).

My favorites through the years? Well since I'm both a fan of music, movies, as well as having an appreciation for musicals (insert smart ass comment here Patrick....), here are my favorites:

Old School Movies
  • West Side Story - Still one of my favorite movies with tremendous music by Bernstein. I can appreciate the great dancing in there ("MAMBO") as well as the tragic Romeo & Juliet-esque storyline.
  • Guys and Dolls - Marlon Brando (when he was a chick magnet... not the "Scary" Brando of post-Godfather fame) and Frank Sinatra make this a quality flick.
  • Music Man - "Trouble right here in River City.... with a capital T, rhymes with P which stands for pool...." some of the strangest lyrics but it also is the basis for one of the greatest Simpson Episodes (think Monorail)
The Acid Trip Era
  • Have to start with Pink Floyd's: The Wall - Still not sure I fully understand this movie but then again, I haven't tried watching it high or on acid... maybe something to do this weekend?? Good music though
  • Tommy by The Who. Who? Yes! Great music and the incredibly beautiful Ann Margaret who in this movie was a real knock out! (Later of Grumpy Old Men fame). This would be my suggestion of a movie needing a remake for anyone reading who has influence. Could still use half the original cast (Tina Turner, Eric Clapton, Jack Nicholson, Elton John) if you wanted to.
  • Jesus Christ Superstar - Some of the greatest music in there and the movie version has some great performers (and dancing).
The Middle Years of the 80s (not much to get excited about):
  • Little Shop of Horrors - With Steve Martin and Rick Moranis.... pretty funny
Modern "Hollywood Editing" Era
  • I did enjoy the movie version of The Phantom of the Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber's version of course. I am still not comfortable with the altered version (which has become standard based on the version I saw in Vegas) but it has some great special effects that wouldn't have been possible in the 80s when it was written
  • Dreamgirls - I did think this was very well done, plus Beyonce is HOT HOT HOT!
Feel like I'm missing one or two, but anyways... there's my list for your enjoyment!

No comments: