Thursday, December 06, 2007

Say What?

Think Bank (formally Think Credit Union and formally IBM Mid American Credit Union) has way too much money on their hands. As do most banks around the US!! With 20% interest on credit cards, and most Americans carrying a decent chunk on credit cards, no wonder Think Bank has money to not only change their name (requires new signs, new business cards, new everything) as well as build a couple hundred more bank offices (new staff, new building). Why would Rochesteronians want more restaurants, or more fun places when we can just have more Banks built up in this town!! Do people actually use banks anymore? Not sure how considering they're only open 9-4 Monday - Friday. But that's another rant waiting to happen.....

The one thing I will give Think: with all their money, they have indeed come up with a clever advertising campaign. They're using license plates on billboards all over town to get people thinking about new car loans, new house loans, taking more money out of the bank systems. They're also increasing accidents I'm sure as the plates aren't as easy as one would think.

MN NICE: "Car loans if you want. If not, that's OK too" ---(Minnesota Nice)
KC BBQ: "Car loans for those with a sophisticated palette" --- (Kansas City BBQ)
WNDYCTY: "Car loans that won't blow your budget" --- (Windy City)
Then they get tricky:
B W C A W: "Car loans for adventures, not the adventurous" --- (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness... I had to ask on that one)
4CSTSNO: "Should I get all wheel drive?" --- (Forecast Snow)
DALOOT: "Car loans for our friends up north" (Daluth with a northern accent)
AUN GO4 --- from memory, but I'm close (Golden Gophers... MN Golden Gophers and Au is the symbol for Gold)
72PTFLP --- 72 Petaflop Blue Gene system made here at IBM Rochester.... fastest computer in the world
GOTVINS (some comment about baseball) --- Go Twins, but I never understood why the W was replaced by a V..... is there some accent thing involved? This one is on 52 going north just past the Broadway exit.
FE2O3 (some comment about a new car) --- This one was the one I saw yesterday (next to ATM by the corner cafe for the IBMers here on site). I finally figured it out!! Fe2 O3 is the chemical name for Iron Oxide which is in a solid condition, just like RUST... thus why you should get a new car loan! I feel pretty smart on that one.

Which other ones am I missing? There really are a lot of them and some are trickier than others.

My other thought for the day is to ask for prayers for the Omaha mall shootings. It still baffles and saddens me when I see these tragedies, and to happen in the MidWest which at times seems shielded from things... but not this. It reminds me that I feel our mental health as a country is worsening. With the economic issues, the business challenges that continue to apply pressure on the American work force, the influences of TV and society in general, the additional stress that continues to rise on all Americans..... No real way to address this, but I wish someone would. Anyway, enough soap box for today.

Haiku of the Day
A prayer of thanks
for safety and protection
from all the evils.....


Entertainment of the Day - A men's A Capella group singing a funny holiday song for your amusement/entertainment.

Weblink of the Day
- A simple fish shooting game... yeah, you heard me right

1 comment:

Jen said...

EYEBMR - CAR LOANS FOR TECH GEEKS (or something like that). This is right on your exit on your way into work. Also, FE RNGR and AG LAKE. I can't remember the punch lines on these. But I figured them out and that makes me feel smart. :)