Monday, February 13, 2006

Best List Week - Day 1

This is List Week here at Adam's Blog. Each day I'll post a different random list about something and you can either like it or not. It's my blog so deal with it!

Quick weekend summary - played Nintendo Friday night with Hazel. Broke out the Dance Pad and Microphone for the Karaoke Revolution Party. Hazel's actually really good at it. We were able to open up some new songs and outfits for the lab to enjoy! Nothing more fun than spending a Friday night Dancing and Singing with my girlfriend to Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline!!!!!

Saturday I cleaned finally and started my taxes. I should be able to finish those tonight and get it sent off electronically. For those who hate taxes, go do Turbo Tax (link off of Yahoo!) - it is the easiest thing ever and I think for both Federal and State Taxes, it only costs around $40 and takes about 2 hours total! Easiest money to spend ever!

Sunday we did some photo taking with Drew and Kristi and some Olympic Watching. It's addictive.

So today's List is:

Best non-Classical CDs that I Own (in no particular order... I swear!)
1. Achtung Baby by U2. This one's a no brainer. I could probably fill up this whole list with U2 CDs but I won't. I've done a similar "Best of U2" blog that if you're really interested, you can go check that out whenever you wish. Bought this one at the Disc-Go-Round in Cedar Rapids when I was in High School. Somehow I lucked out and found a copy with the original cardboard foldouts... not the typical jewel case you can only find now a days.
2. Blue Light, Red Light by Harry Connick, Jr. Something not all of you would expect but I'm a huge Harry fan. And while he has a bunch of CDs that could be listed on here, this is his best one in my opinion. Includes the ultimate driving song "Kiss Me" at the end with lots of improve jazz moments for those tight turns. Always makes me think of driving out to your parent's house, Claire on those windy roads... perfect for a sports car commercial. Another CD I bought in High School.
3. Barenaked Ladies with Maroon (Special Edition) - I think I know the lyrics to the whole CD which is very rare for me. The most unusual song in my collection of 10 Billion songs is probably on this disc with "Tonight Is The Night I Fell Asleep At The Wheel". Bought this one in Poughkeepsie while I was stuck out there for 2 weeks in the hot summer weather in August.
4. Hello Nasty by Beastie Boys - bought this one in college and I think I listened to it for a week straight. They have some better individual songs, but nowhere will you find a better compilation of classic Beastie Boys. Plus with "Intergalactic" it's hard to beat that one! Bought this one in Rochester, summer of 1998 when I was a co-op and "Intergalactic" was popular. Brings back some memories of us at Ladie's Night at Rookies with this one!
5. Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack - not only a quality movie (in my opinion... despite having Leonardo De Crapio in it) but a quality soundtrack with Garbage, Butthole Surfers and Radio Head. Might have to listen to this one again today. Bought this one from Target my freshmen year in college.
6. Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95 by Dave Matthew's Band. Forget their studio albums... Dave will be known for his live CDs that he puts out more of them than his studio stuff and for good reason. Although I love some of his newer songs and some of the newer live CDs, this one is still my favorite and probably has a couple of hundred hours of play time in the old SUV (Saturn Utility Vehicle). I actually don't remember where I bought this one from. One of the few instances where I don't remember where I got my CD from (out of 450+, that's not bad).
7. Elvis Presley - 30 #1 Hits - This could also be titled "30 songs that Drew wouldn't let me do as Karaoke at his wedding" but I won't nit pick. Only complaint was the lack of "Viva Las Vegas" which I consider one of his finest! Does it seriously get any better than Elvis for an hour? Bought this one at Best Buy... not a single regret!
8. Supernatural by DC Talk. Too bad they aren't together anymore since this last CD was by far their best. They were really starting to get it together and then they broke up. Too bad. The concert that followed this album was pretty sweet too! Bought this one in College on the way to campus when it came out.
9. Michael Jackson - Number Ones - I don't care if he IS some perverted child molester.... he is still the King of Pop (not to be confused with the King of Cartoons) and deserves some respect for this. I choose this album due to it having the best of Thriller among other hits that deserve recognition. Does have some crap though i could have done without. Bought this one with my cousins in Lincoln and played it the whole way home despite Nikki being embarrassed. I don't get embarrassed... EVER!
10. Garbage - Bleed Like Me - Another band that continues to get better with every album. This is easily the LOUDEST CD I own. If you don't believe me, come for a ride in the Trail Blazer and I will change your mind very quickly! Bought this one the day it came out in Rochester at Best Buy!

Honorable Mention
* GreenDay - American Idiot
* INXS - Kick
* Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
* Jars of Clay by Jars of Clay
* Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral (still a quality album... just missed the list)
* John Denver and the Muppets - A Christmas Together
* MC Hammer - Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em
* Nirvana - Nevermind
* Very Best of Prince - duhh.....
* REM - Monster
* Shaggy Boys - Shagabego Groove (don't ask)
* Can't Stop The Rock - The Stryper Collection 1984-1991 don't knock it please

Song of the Day - Still singing Sweet Caroline after the Karaoke Revolution Party from Friday night.

Video of the Day - Hazel and I watched Romeo and Juliet yesterday but not the one you're thinking of. It's actually an incredibly amazing ballet written by Prokofiev as well as many other composers but his version is one of my favorites. The ballet was nothing amazing, but it's neat to hear the music and see an interpretation of it after hearing it for so many years. This one would rank towards the very top of a Classical version of today's list.

Webpage of the Day - Interesting Cartoon with a bunch of Super Heros. I still don't think Optimus Prime can be beat but whatever..... Anyone know the blue guy with glasses and brown mustache that you see a couple of seconds after Mario and the Back to the Future car is? He has us all confused. Thanks to Wyatt for the link!

2 comments:

Kahnman said...

You make fun of me about figure skating, and then write about watching ballet, and use words like "incredibly amazing" to describe it? Wow.

adickins00 said...

Yeah pretty much.... deal with it.