Monday, July 27, 2009

My "Graduation" Trip to Hualien

In Taiwan schools, they take a "graduation" trip after their senior year where they explore parts of the Island and enjoy the wonderful tourism aspect of Taiwan. So with my return to the US in a month or so, some of my coworkers planned a weekend trip to Hualien for us. A total of 8 of us drove down Highway 9 which is famous due to the scenic view of the mountains, Pacific ocean, windy roads, and ultimately the beauty of Hualien. This was the same place that Pitzen and I visited in May with the amazing mountains running into the ocean.... and this trip again proved the beauty that is in the East of Taiwan.

I uploaded group 1 of my photos. These are the "general" pics that were taken over the weekend. We headed down on Friday that took about 4 hours by 2 cars. There was a stop for shaved ice and we finally arrived at our bed and breakfast that we rented for the weekend. Plenty of room for the 8 of us! Wonderful view of the mountains and countryside. We also hit the night market (the archery pics and the bumper cars) which also allowed me to pay $10 for my own firework. They were amazed how I wanted the biggest firework they have to shoot off from the beach - it fulfilled my pyro tendencies for a while.

Saturday we had a guide to take us up on a river climb along with his camera toting assistant who got around like a spider monkey on the river. It was an amazing adventure climbing rocks, waterfalls and swimming in the clearest mountain water I've ever been in. Sunday we went looking for whales (no sightings but we did see some Dolphins!!).

I'll post Saturday and Sunday photos in the next couple of days, I haven't had a chance to go through them yet. Plus it gives me more things to blog about this week!!

For group 1, you will see a lot of food pictures:) One thing the Taiwanese do well is eat GOOD food - this weekend had no shortage of good food of course. One restaurant was on the Pacific Ocean plus we were the only ones there so we were VIP! The next night we went to dinner in the mountains that would have had a tremendous view of the stars except for the rain clouds:( We did see some stars on Friday night - amazing how much you miss seeing stars when you live in the city and see none of them year round.

More stories and explanations throughout the week. Enjoy the first group!

No comments: